Ffenics on High DPI Monitor

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

Ffenics on High DPI Monitor

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Last year I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which I now use for most things, except for Ffenics. It only has a 12" screen and by default has a resolution of 2160x1440. Win10 also provides the ability to scale the desktop (by default this scales to 150%) which makes things more readable even with my old eyes. But to make it even more visually friendly, I've changed the resolution to 1920x1200 (150%) which has a similar resolution ratio and makes things quite readable. Except Ffenics...

Ffenics is the only "old" program I've tried running on this machine and it's not very pretty what happens - any attempt at scaling higher than 100% results in blurry fonts. It is possible to make a change to the Ffenics properties to not scale, but when I do that, I end up with very clear but very tiny type. I've also tried changing to a resolution that scales to 100% by default but that decreases the desktop size way too much.

One solution that does work is to attach a larger external monitor. In fact, I can easily connect a HDMI flat screen TV and have lots of work area at a good resolution. But, that still leaves me unable to really use Ffenics on the Surface except for short periods of time - any more than that and I get eye strain.

There is on other "old" program I use and that's a utility called TotalCommander, and I've used this program for more years than I can remember and I'd be lost without it. However, the fonts it uses are customizable (and always have been) which allows me to basically scale the program up or down depending on what machine it's running on. Because of this, I've more or less made the assumption that the problem with Ffenics is that it is using a font that may not scale well. And because there's no way for the user to change the font, there's no solution to this issue.

Suggestions?
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Re: Ffenics on High DPI Monitor

Postby John Middleton » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Graham

I take it you have tried the usual MS solution?

"Disable DPI virtualization for the application. To do this, right-click the application’s shortcut and then click Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select Disable Display Scaling On High DPI Settings, and then click OK. This causes the text in the application to appear clearer. However, if the application does not correctly handle high DPI settings, this procedure may have adverse side effects such as truncated text and incorrectly sized graphical elements"

John Middleton
John Middleton

Postby Pete Tabord » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:38 pm

I've been using Ffenics on an 8" tablet and it works fine. Clever chaps, the Chinese.
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm

John, I did try changing the "do not scale" property and it stops the font from getting blurry but also makes it even smaller.

Pete, I assume you are using a magnifying glass with that 8" tablet. What's the resolution on the screen? The default (preferred) resolution on my Surface is 2160x1440 and I've reduced that to 1920x1200, which is about as low as I can go and still have enough screen real estate to be useful.

As I said, Ffenics is the only program I use that has a problem with display scaling. I've got a couple other old programs and they seem to work fine.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby Adrian Jones » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:59 am

Pete Tabord wrote:I've been using Ffenics on an 8" tablet and it works fine. Clever chaps, the Chinese.

Who's the maker, out of interest? I got a chiwi for when we went travelling around France earlier this year and it did a decent job of keeping me in touch.
Adrian Jones

Postby Pete Tabord » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

That's the maker of mine. too. Currently I can't find it - put it down and don't know where it is - so things can be too small!
Peter J. Tabord
Head of Development
Database Software Ltd.
ptabord@ffenics.com
Pete Tabord

Postby Paul Nelson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Graham

I have used a Surface Pro 3 for the last two and a half years.

I use Ffenics 1.63 and that displays fine with the default resolution and I regularly zoom in and out without any problems with the display.

Thinking back I do recall a display issue in the very early days but this went away after one of the many MS firmware upgrades. I am running Windows 10 1703 Creators Update - OS build 15063.674.

If there are any specific settings or drivers you would like me to check please ask.

Like you, I find I need everything to be displayed larger now than a few years ago!

Paul
Paul Nelson

Return to General